December 28, 2006

Be Aware!! Here comes the CHICKEN

Well it's a fine Sunday morning, the sun is rising slowly after a painful tiring week, and..................WAIT!!
I just realised that my temperature had gone up, and my body is aching a bit. My right elbow joint and knee joints were slightly paining. And a slight headache erupted in me. It was like my forehead may blast into pieces. I thought that may be it might be just a fever, since I drank so many cold drinks & ice creams within a day and on Saturday night I had taken a head bath. So I took the normal medications and went to sleep.
Monday morning my total body was burning with fever. My body temp had gone from 98.6ºF to 102.2ºF. So I was rushed to the hospital and given all these medications. It was confirmed that I got Chikungunya.........

Chikungunya
is a relatively rare form of viral fever caused by an alpha virus that is spread by mosquito bites from the Aedes aegypti mosquito, though recent research by the Pasteur Institute in Paris claims the virus has suffered a mutation that enables it to be transmitted by Aedes albopictus (Tiger mosquito)- a mosquito with black and white striped legs and small, black and white body. This was the cause of the plague in the Indian Ocean and a threat to the Mediterranean coast at present. This mosquito has become a significant pest in many communities because it closely associates with humans (rather than living in wetlands), and typically flies and feeds in the daytime particularly in the early hours after dawn and for 2-3 hours before darkness rather than at night. It is a container and puddle breeder, needing only a few ounces of water to breed. It is more active outdoors.
Chikungunya fever is characterized by sudden onset, chills and fever, headache, vomiting, arthralgia (joint pains), and rash. Even though this is spread by mosquito's in areas where dengue is also rapidly being spread, Chikungunya fever is not so fatal as dengue.
But its better to consult a doctor as soon as possible and take proper medications.

Mosquito control is the main outbreak control activity. Close to habitation, this mosquito species multiply in collections of stagnant water, mostly in artificial containers. To control the mosquitoes, their breeding sites must be removed, destroyed, protected, frequently emptied and cleaned, or treated with insecticides.
The most effective means of prevention are those that protect against any contact with the disease-carrying mosquito's. These include using insect repellent, wearing long sleeves and pants, and securing screens on windows and doors.

Well alas! I'm recovering from this after 4 days of pain......
Have fun!!
WATCH OUT

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

keep recovering...sotp thinking abt other stuff ( u knwo what i mean) and take good rest and watch good movies like thiruvilayadal! and thanks for the info mate